Cancer Council Queensland offers a Pro Bono Program to help people affected by cancer who need legal, financial or workplace advice. We assist by connecting clients with a professional who volunteers their time. Professionals include lawyers, financial planners, small business accountants and human resources professionals. The service is means tested, and is free for people who cannot afford the cost of advice.
On this page you will find information on:
Christmas operating hours
This program will be unavailable from 5pm Wednesday, December 18, 2019 until Monday January 6, 2020. Any client who is referred during this time will be contacted in the week beginning January 6, 2020.
This service focuses on:
- End-of-life legal matters, including wills, powers of attorney and making parenting arrangements for terminally ill clients with children.
- Legal matters relating to financial hardship, including early access to superannuation, insurance claims and disputes, mortgage hardship and other credit and debt issues.
- Employment issues and other disputes, including discrimination and tenancy matters.
This service may assist with:
- Centrelink payments
- Debt management
- Restructuring income and assets
- Estate planning
- Transition-to-retirement strategies.
This service may help you to:
- Manage workplace issues before, during and after treatment, including disclosing a diagnosis, managing expectations, coping with side effects at work, taking leave and managing discrimination, bullying and harassment.
- Transition back into the workplace after a period off work for treatment, including reviewing CVs, role-playing interviews and connecting you with recruitment services.
Small business advice
Provides patients and carers with access to free assistance to manage their small business after a cancer diagnosis. Qualified accountants can advise on tax issues, appointing a caretaker, business debts, sale of a business and assets, and other issues.
How can I apply for legal and financial advice?
To make a referral or for further information your eligibility or access to the programme please call Cancer Council on 13 11 20.