“From the moment your bus picked us up at the PA Hospital, I felt like I could relax for the first time since yesterday. Bill’s friendly banter and everyone’s help made me immediately feel cared for.” – Helen & Wilfred.
Having to travel away from home for your cancer treatment can be daunting. To assist, Cancer Council Queensland offers both airport transfers and lodge transport.
Arrival and Departure Transfers
Cancer Council Queensland operates a free volunteer-run transfer service in Brisbane and Townsville to take you to and from your accommodation or treatment facility.
- In Brisbane you can be picked up from Brisbane Airport or Roma St Transit Centre.
- If travelling to Townsville, pick up is from Townsville Airport.
Available: Monday- Friday subject to availability
To book call Cancer Council 13 11 20.
If you are staying at one of our accommodation lodges we have a transport service available each weekday to take you from the lodge to your treatment facility.
This can be discussed when you are making your accommodation booking or upon arrival.
Cairns Transport to Treatment Service
The service transports cancer patients travelling from their home (within the designated region covered by this service) to the following treatment centres in Cairns;
- Cairns Base Hospital
- Liz Plummer Cancer Care Centre
- Cairns Haematology & Oncology Clinic
- Cairns Private Hospital Oncology
Who is the service for?
The service is for anyone struggling to attend their cancer treatment appointment due to;
- Not having access to their own or public transport
- Not being able to afford the cost of transport (public or community transport)
- Not being well enough to drive themselves or to use public transport
You must be mobile and able to access the vehicle yourself.
To access the service your health professional (for example your social worker) must register you. Discuss with your health professional whether you are eligible to access the Cairns Transport to Treatment Service, and ask them to make a referral on your behalf.
For more information call Cancer Council 13 11 20.