Already 105 Queensland schools, childcare centres, community or sporting clubs have benefited from new shade structures as part of the 2018 SunSmart Shade Creation Initiative, with applications for a new round of funding now open.
The initiative, led by the Queensland Government and Cancer Council Queensland, enables not-for-profit organisations catering for children 0-18 years to apply for up to 50 per cent matched funding to purchase a portable or permanent shade structure.
Cancer Council Queensland CEO Ms Chris McMillan congratulated those organisations* successful in receiving funding and urged those who had not received shade this year or in 2017 to get their applications in before November 1.
“We are proud to partner with the Queensland Government to help provide shade and improve the sun safety of Queensland kids,” Ms McMillan said.
“With Queensland having the highest rates of skin cancer in the world – and sun exposure during childhood influencing the risk of skin cancer later in life – this initiative funded by the Queensland Government is vital for our State.
“Skin damage can occur in as little as 10 minutes if you’re outdoors without protection.
“It’s vital that we do what we can to protect our next generation from the damaging effects of too much sun exposure by instilling SunSmart behaviours and creating more shady spaces in settings where young Queenslanders spend a large portion of their day.”
More than 3600 Queenslanders are diagnosed with melanoma each year, with almost half of all childhood melanoma cases in Australia diagnosed in Queensland over the past decade.
It’s also estimated that over 343,000 non-melanoma skin cancers are treated annually.
Cancer Council Queensland recommends all Queenslanders follow the five recommended sun protective behaviours when the UV Index level is three or above.
“Slip on protective clothing, Slop on minimum SPF30 broad-spectrum, water-resistant sunscreen, Slap on a broad-brimmed hat, Seek shade and Slide on wrap-around sunglasses when out and about to best reduce your risk of skin cancer,” Ms McMillan said.
Applications for this round of the 2018 SunSmart Shade Creation Initiative close at 5pm on November 1, 2018. To apply, complete the online application form on the Cancer Council Queensland website.
More information about Cancer Council Queensland is available at cancerqld.org.au or via Cancer Council’s 13 11 20.
*Organisations grated funding through the SunSmart Shade Creation Initiative in 2018
- AFL Cape York Limited
- Agnew School Incorporated
- Alma Street Pre-Pre Inc
- Atherton Junior Rugby League Inc.
- Ayr Community Kindergarten Association
- Ayr State High School
- Balmoral SHS
- Beerwah State High School
- Benowa State School
- Bloomhill Cancer Care Ltd
- C&K Clinton Community Child Care Centre
- C&K Mossman Community Kindergarten
- Cairns Hockey Association Inc.
- Central Queensland Life Education Centre Inc.
- Clermont State High School
- Coominya State School P&C Association
- Coorparoo State School Parents and Citizens Association
- Cunnamulla & District Show Society
- Dalby State High
- Dulacca State School
- Eidsvold Kindergarten
- Elanora State School
- Fraser Coast Anglican College
- Grand Avenue State School P&C Association
- Gundiah State School P&C Association
- Gympie South Primary P and C Association
- Holy Cross School
- Holy Name Primary School
- Holy Spirit Parents and Friends Association
- Inglewood Childcare & Kindergarten
- Kath Dickson Family Centre – SnowWhite Kindergarten
- Kawana Waters Surf Life Saving Club
- Kirwan State High School
- Lakeland State School
- Lakes Creek State School
- Leading Educational Enterprises Ltd
- Lockyer Valley Riding for the Disabled
- Malanda State High School P & C Association
- Mareeba and District Cricket Club Inc
- Mareeba Kids Campus
- Marist College Emerald
- Maryborough Child Care Centre Inc.
- Mermaid Beach Surf Life Saving Club
- Metropolitan-Caloundra Surf Life Saving Club
- Miami State School P&C Association
- Miles Historical Society Inc
- Millmerran St Joseph’s Catholic School P&F Association
- Mirani State School
- Mission Beach Surf Lifesaving Club Inc
- Mossman Meteors Swimming Club Inc.
- Mount Gravatt State High School
- Mount Louisa Child Care Centre
- Mount Tarampa State School
- Murilla C&K Kindergarten
- Murilla Long Day Care & Kindergarten
- Noosa Sea Scouts
- Outback Watersports Club Inc
- Parkwood Sharks
- Pine Rivers Rapids Baseball Club
- Prince of Peace Lutheran College
- Pumicestone State School P&C Association
- Pumicestone Tri Sports Club
- Raceview State School P & C Association
- Redlynch State College Parents and Citizens Association
- Richmond Early Education Centre
- Rockhampton Junior Tennis Association Inc
- Samford State School P&C Association
- Sandgate State School Parents and Citizens Association
- Sharon State School Parents and Citizens Association
- South Burnett Child Care Centre
- Southern Cross Catholic College
- Southport State School P&C Association
- St Brigid’s Catholic Primary School
- St Catherine’s Catholic College – The Whitsundays
- St Clare’s Primary School
- St Francis Xavier P & F Association
- St John’s Catholic School
- St Joseph’s Catholic Primary School
- St Joseph’s Tobruk Memorial School – Parents & Friends Association
- St. Columba’s Primary School, Wilston
- St. Joseph’s Parish School, Atherton
- St. Joseph’s Tara
- Taigum State School
- Tannum Sands State High School
- Tannum Sands Surf Life Saving Club Inc
- Tent Hill Lower Primary P & C Association
- Thallon State School P&C
- The Frederick Marsden Youth Centre Incorporated
- The Rockhampton Grammar School Early Learning Centre
- The School of Total Education
- The Well Sails Inc.
- Theodore Community Link Incorporated
- Townsville Centrals Little Athletics
- Townsville Picnic Bay Surf Lifesaving Club
- Trustees of the Roman Catholic Arch of Brisbane T/A Mt Maria College Petrie
- Tugun Surf Life Saving Club Inc.
- Tully Netball Association Inc
- Urangan State High School
- Vera Lacaze Memorial Community Kindergarten
- Walkerston Wanderers Junior Rugby League
- Wallumbilla State School
- Wandoan State School P&C Association
- Whitfield Community Kindergarten Association Inc.
For more media interviews, please contact:
Senior Coordinator, Digital Marketing
Cancer Council Queensland