Cancer – it’s the nation’s top health concern, it impacts one in two people directly by age 85 and takes the lives of around 8000 Queenslanders each year.
Today, Cancer Council Queensland is inviting Queenslanders to help beat the disease with the launch of the 2014 I Can for Cancer campaign!
Cancer Council Queensland’s I Can for Cancer campaign encourages Queenslanders to do whatever they can to raise funds in the fight against cancer – from baking goods to clipping hair, running for two hours straight on a treadmill, or swearing yourself off chocolate.
Cancer Council Queensland spokesperson Katie Clift said anyone could support I Can for Cancer by simply adding a fundraising element to their favourite activities or encouraging themselves to achieve more goals.
“It’s not what you’ve got – it’s what you can do that makes a difference,” Ms Clift said.
“Never underestimate how much change you can make through pledging to do something small, for all Queenslanders affected by cancer.
“Lend a hand where you can, help us raise awareness of cancer prevention and detection, share your cancer stories and pledge I Can for Cancer to show other community members that we can stand up and beat this disease.
“About 61,000 Australian lives have been saved by improvements in cancer prevention, screening and treatment over the past 20 years – Queensland, we need your help in 2014 to change even more lives for the better!”
This year, Cancer Council Queensland hopes more than 1500 community-minded individuals will pledge I Can for Cancer and raise $2 million to support the 24,000 Queenslanders diagnosed with cancer each year.
“If you have a hobby, if you want to learn a new skill or if you just want to make something you do every day count, do what makes you happy and say ‘I Can for Cancer’,” Ms Clift said.
Some of the ways you can support I Can for Cancer include holding a charity sports day, hosting a bake sale in the office or simply doing what you do best and making it count.
Other ways you Can for Cancer include:
• I Can Bowl: You Can have plenty of fun during a day on the green, so whether you’re a seasoned bowler or just play for a bit of fun, bowl your friends over with a great day out for a good cause.
• I Can Golf: You Can organise a golf day at your local golf course, mini golf complex or golfing range and help us score a hole-in-one to beat cancer.
• I Can Get Active: You Can run, hop, swim, cycle, dance and walk your way to a cancer free future.
• I Can Quit: You Can quit your bad habits for good, or just for a little while, when you quit for cancer.
• I Can Go Blue: You Can help us to raise awareness and funds for the fight against men’s cancers by going blue, hosting a barbeque for the blokes or daring your mates to take you on at your favourite video game.
• I Can Cook: You Can challenge your family and friends to a cook-off, or just invite them around for a fabulous dinner party.
• I Can Do Anything For Cancer: You Can do anything for cancer! If you can dream of it, you can do it!
You can make a difference by registering online at www.icanforcancer.org.au or calling the Fundraising Hotline 1300 65 65 85.
Cancer Council Queensland is an independent, community-based charity, the achievements of which are made possible by the generosity of Queenslanders.
For more information about Cancer Council Queensland visit www.cancerqld.org.au or call Cancer Council Helpline 13 11 20.
For more information, please contact:
Kim Ryan, Senior Media Advisor, Cancer Council Queensland
P. (07) 3634 5239
For interview opportunities, please contact:
Katie Clift, Executive Manager, Media and Spokesperson, Cancer Council Queensland P. (07) 3634 5372 M. 0409 001 171
*AIA Australian Healthy Living Index Survey, 2013, www.aia.com.