Cancer Council Queensland and Queensland Government cover kids from the harsh Queensland sun
Queensland kids will have more access to shade thanks to funding from the Queensland Government.
The 2019 funding round of the SunSmart Shade Creation Initiative has officially opened and the grant recipients for the 2018 funding round have been announced.
The initiative, led by Queensland Government and Cancer Council Queensland, provides 50 per cent matched funding up to $2000 for portable shade and up to $5000 for permanent shade for not-for-profit organisations that cater to children 0-18 years.
This current grant round will see 50 per cent of funding spent in the Central Queensland Hospital and Health Service area, due to the extremely high sun burn rates in this part of Queensland.
Minister for Health and Ambulance Services Steven Miles said funding provided through the SunSmart Shade Creation Initiative will increase the number of shaded areas at early childhood centres, schools, junior sporting clubs and not-for-profit youth community organisations.
“In Queensland, we have the highest rate of melanoma in the country, 35 per cent higher than the national rate,” Minister Miles said.
“Childhood is a crucial period for reducing ultraviolet (UV) exposure as children’s skin is particularly susceptible to damage.
“Alarmingly 46 per cent of children aged 5-17 were sunburnt in the last 12 months.
“These shade grants will help to protect the next generation by providing more shaded areas for the kids of our state.”
Cancer Council Queensland CEO Ms Chris McMillan urged eligible schools, sporting clubs, childcare centres and community groups to apply for the SunSmart Shade Creation Initiative.
“We’re proud to partner with the Queensland Government to help provide shade and to assist organisations with developing SunSmart policies, to ultimately reduce skin cancer rates,” Ms McMillan said.
“Skin damage can occur in as little as 10 minutes if you’re outdoors without sun protection and creating more shady spaces in settings where young Queenslanders spend a large portion of the day will help reduce their exposure and skin cancer risk.”
For 2018-19, $275,000 was provided to 113 eligible organisations to purchase shade structures – with 52 organisations within the Mackay Hospital and Health Service area benefiting from the SunSmart Shade Creation Initiative.
The Mackay and Central Queensland Hospital Health Service areas have been targeted in recent SunSmart Shade Creation Initiative funding rounds as childhood sunburn rates in these areas are higher than the state average.
Applications for this round of the 2019 SunSmart Shade Creation Initiative close at 5pm on November 8, 2019. To apply, complete the online application form on the Cancer Council Queensland website: cancerqld.org.au/cancer-prevention/programs-resources/shade-initiative/.
More information about Cancer Council Queensland is available at cancerqld.org.au or via Cancer Council’s 13 11 20.
 The health of Queenslanders 2018 report.
For more information, or interviews, please contact:
Lisa Maynard, Manager, Public Relations and Social Media, Cancer Council Queensland
M. 0488 015 702, E: firstname.lastname@example.org
Sun safety and children
- Protecting your skin from the sun and other forms of UV exposure is important at any age, but sun protection is especially important during childhood and adolescence.
- More than 3600 Queenslanders are diagnosed with melanoma each year, with almost half of all childhood melanoma cases in Australia diagnosed in Queensland over the past decade.
- Cancer Council Queensland recommends all Queenslanders follow the five recommended sun protective behaviours when the UV Index level is three or above. Slip on protective clothing, Slop on minimum SPF30 broad-spectrum, water-resistant sunscreen, Slap on a broad-brimmed hat, Seek shade and Slide on wrap-around sunglasses when out and about to best reduce your risk of skin cancer.
Organisations granted funding through the SunSmart Shade Creation Initiative 2018/2019 funding round
- Atherton BMX Club
- Atherton Community Kindergarten Inc
- Autism Queensland Limited – Cairns
- Bakers Creek AFC
- Blackall State School P&C
- Brothers Netball Club Mackay
- Byfield State School Parents And Citizens Association
- C & K Forestview Community Kindergarten
- C&K Eimeo Road Community Kindergarten
- C&K Moranbah Community Kindergarten (Branch Of The Creche & Kindergarten Association)
- C&K Mourilyan & District Kindergarten
- C&K Slade Point Community Kindergarten
- Carlisle Adventist Christian College
- Clermont State School
- Clifford Park Special School
- Collinsville State High School
- Cooloola Coast Kart Club
- Dolphins FC
- Duaringa Rodeo Club Inc.
- Dysart State High School P&C
- Eimeo Surf Life Saving Club Inc
- Emerald Brothers Junior Rugby League
- Emerald Show Society
- Emmanuel Kindergarten, Mount Pleasant
- Emmanuel Outside School Hours Care
- Galaxy Netball Club Inc
- George Street Neighbourhood Centre Association Inc.
- Good Counsel Primary School
- Granite Belt Neighbourhood Centre Stanthorpe
- Grantham State School P&C
- Harristown State School
- Hervey Bay Neighbourhood Centre Inc.
- ICPA Alpha Branch
- Ipswich State High School
- Julia Creek State Primary P&C Association
- Kawungan State School
- Koumala State School P&C Association
- Lady Gowrie Love Street Child Centre
- Laidley Kindergarten Assoc Inc
- Holy Spirit School
- Bellmere State School
- Clifton & District Tennis Association Inc
- St Joseph’s Primary Murgon
- Christian Outreach Centre Innisfail
- Rockhampton And District Motocross Club Inc
- Mackay and District Special School P&C
- Mackay Athletics Club Inc
- Mackay Brothers Football Club Inc
- Mackay Childminding Association
- Mackay Cricket Association Inc.
- Mackay Hockey Association Inc
- Mackay Netball Association Inc
- Mackay North Horse And Pony Club Inc.
- Mackay Surf Lifesaving Club Inc
- Mackillop Outside School Hours Care
- Madec Ltd
- Mareeba Gymnastics Club
- Marian State School P&C Association
- Maryborough Special School P&C
- Merinda State School
- Middlemount Community Sports Association
- Middlemount Golf & Country Club
- Moranbah East State School
- Moranbah Kart Club
- Moranbah State High School
- Moranbah State School P&C Association
- Mulgrave Combined Cricket Association Inc.
- Nanango Rugby League Football Club
- Napranum Aboriginal Shire Council
- Nobbs Street Outside School Hours Care Service
- North Eton State School
- Northview Sate School
- Our Lady of Lourdes Primary School
- Our Lady of The Way Primary School
- Park Avenue Outside School Hours Care
- Pioneer Tennis Inc.
- Proston State School P – 10
- Queens Beach State School P&C Association
- Ravenshoe Kindergarten & Playgroup Inc.
- Silver Spurs Western Performance & Quarter Horse Club Inc.
- Ski North Waterski Club
- South Burnett Karate Association Inc.
- Southern Suburbs Junior Rugby League
- Special Olympics Australia –
- St Brendan’s Catholic Kindergarten
- St Brendan’s Outside School Hours Care
- St Francis Xavier Catholic Kindergarten
- St Francis Xavier Outside School Hours Care
- St Joseph’s Catholic Kindergarten Biloela
- St Joseph’s Catholic Kindergarten Blackall
- St Joseph’s Kindergarten, North Rockhampton
- St Joseph’s Outside School Hours Care – Bundaberg
- St Joseph’s Outside School Hours Care – Mackay
- St Joseph’s School Parents & Friends Association
- St Mary’s Bundaberg Outside School Hours Care Service
- St Mary’s Catholic Primary School
- St Mary’s Catholic Primary School – Rockhampton
- St Patrick’s After School Care
- St Peter’s After School Care
- St Rita’s School, South Johnstone
- St. Joseph’s Catholic School, Mundingburra
- Star Of The Sea Outside School Hours Care
- Taranganba State School P&C
- Tewantin Community Kindergarten Inc
- The Roman Catholic Trust Corporation For The Diocese Of Cairns – St Gerard Majella School Woree
- The Scout Association of Australia Queensland Branch Inc – Darling Downs Region
- The Scout Association of Australia Queensland Branch Inc – Moranbah
- Tinana Preschool and Kindergarten Association Inc
- Torquay State School
- Tourism Whitsundays
- United Cricket Club Inc
- Victoria Park State School
- Whitsunday Community Services Inc