Each year fundraisers from across the state pledge to make a difference by taking part in Cancer Council Queensland’s CancerFREE Challenge – and yesterday the winners were crowned!
The CancerFREE Challenge rewards and acknowledges Cancer Council Queensland’s most talented fundraisers by inviting them to commit to raise $10,000 during the year and compete for the rights to name a research grant.
This year, 72 fundraisers accepted the challenge, with the top three invited to Brisbane for the announcement of the overall State champion.
After raising over $117,000 Cancer Council’s Redlands Volunteer Branch was crowned the overall champion for the second year in a row, as well as the Highest Fundraising Branch.
Joshua Ramadani (16) from Townsville was named the Highest Fundraising Individual and the Innisfail CancerFREE Challenge Team were named the Highest Fundraising Team.
Cancer Council Queensland CEO Ms Chris McMillan said the combined efforts of CancerFREE Challenge entrants in Queensland had resulted in a fundraising total of $1.136 million.
“I’m so proud to announce that our Redlands Volunteer Branch, Joshua Ramadani and the Innisfail Fundraising Team are our 2018 champions,” Ms McMillan said.
“Together, our category winners raised $238,000 for the cause throughout the year, through countless events, stalls, raffles and more – a simply phenomenal effort for which we can’t thank them enough.
“Their tireless dedication and enthusiasm for the cause will enable us to continue our important work in cancer control, contributing to vital cancer research, education and prevention programs, and patient support services.”
Ms McMillan said the charity was honoured to have so many dedicated fundraisers in Queensland.
“Thank you to everyone who got involved in our CancerFREE Challenge this year and to everyone who showed their support through volunteering or donating – you have all played an important role in reducing the burden of cancer,” Ms McMillan said.
Cancer Council Queensland is an independent, community-based charity, the achievements of which are made possible by the generosity of Queenslanders.
More about Cancer Council Queensland is available via www.cancerqld.org.au or 13 11 20.
For more information, please contact:
Lisa Maynard, Manager, Public Relations and Social Media
Cancer Council Queensland
(07) 3634 5171 or E. email@example.com
Notes to the Editor:
- The Redlands Volunteer Branch ran countless craft and cake stalls in 2018. They also held numerous morning tea, afternoon tea and luncheon events, a cent sale auction, barefoot bowls charity day, Titanic-themed dinner, and participated in Redlands Relay For Life.
- To fundraise Joshua Ramadani held numerous Bunnings BBQs (a regular booking on Monday), helped distribute daffodils for two Daffodil Day sites, was part of the Relay For Life team Walking for Liam Clair and volunteered for Christmas gift wrapping at Willows Shopping Centre for the month of December.
- The Innisfail CancerFREE Challenge Team hosted an Australia’s Biggest Morning Tea that had over 250 attendees, plus supported many other morning teas in the region, ran Daffodil Day stalls, participated in Cassowary Coast Relay For Life, attended Pink Ribbon fundraising events, sold countless raffle tickets, and held their famous lamington drive.
Regional CancerFREE Challenge winners:
Far North Queensland
- Mossman Volunteer Branch, Highest Fundraising Branch
- Innisfail CancerFREE Challenge Team, Highest Fundraising Team
- Friends for a cause CancerFREE Challenge Team, Spirit of Challenge
- Doreen Cook, Rookie Award
- Charters Towers Volunteer Branch, Highest Fundraising Branch
- Josh Ramadani, Highest Fundraising Individual
- Connie Soper, Spirit of Challenge
- Pink Ribbon Charity Fair, Highest Fundraising Team
- Mhel Caple, Highest Fundraising Individual
- Rockhampton Volunteer Branch, Highest Fundraising Branch
- Barcaldine Branch CancerFREE Challenge Team, Highest Fundraising Team
- Melinda Hannon, Highest Fundraising Individual
- Gladstone Volunteer Branch, Spirit of Challenge
- Polly Bromley, Rookie Award
- Bundaberg Volunteer Branch, Highest Fundraising Branch
- Maryborough Fundraising Group, Highest Fundraising Team
- Jenny Frew, Highest Fundraiser Individual
- Ron Robertson, Rookie Award
- Noosa Volunteer Branch, Highest Fundraising Branch
- Beerwah Charity Sports & Spring Carnival, Highest Fundraising Team
- Veronica Richmond, Highest Fundraising Individual
- Bribie Island Volunteer Branch, Spirit of Challenge
- Rohann Balfour, Rookie Award
South West Queensland
- Warwick Volunteer Branch, Highest Fundraising Branch
- Injune Volunteer Branch, Spirit of Challenge
Greater Brisbane Region
- Redlands Volunteer Branch, Highest Fundraising Branch
- Sunnybank Branch CancerFREE Challenge Team, Highest Fundraising Team
- Patricia Hanmer, Highest Fundraising Individual
- Ipswich Volunteer Branch, Spirit of Challenge
- Beaudesert Volunteer Branch, Highest Fundraising Branch
- The Star Gold Coast, Highest Fundraising Team
- Deborah Frugtniet, Highest Fundraising Individual
- Turning Canungra Pink, Spirit of Challenge
- Beaudesert Soccer Club, Rookie Award