Join the charge this March to give cancer a run for its money
Cancer Council is calling on Queenslanders to get charged up next month to help run down cancer!
Registrations are now open for The March Charge – a month-long challenge encouraging Queenslanders to run or walk to improve their health and raise funds for Cancer Council.
Participants can set the distance they cover, and charge as an individual, or in a team.
Cancer Council Queensland spokesperson Katie Clift urged Queenslanders to take up the challenge.
“The March Charge gives everyone an opportunity to get healthy and make a difference – no matter their fitness level,” Ms Clift said.
“Whether you choose to walk 30km throughout the month of March, or run 100km, every kilometre brings us one step closer to a cancer free future.
“All funds raised through the campaign play a vital role in transforming cancer control in Queensland and give hope to those affected by cancer.
“Funds will be invested into lifesaving cancer research, prevention programs and support services for your local community.
“You don’t need to be an athlete to give cancer a fun for its money – join the charge and make a change!”
Ms Clift said the campaign also highlighted the importance of leading a healthy, active lifestyle.
“More than 26,000 people are diagnosed with cancer each year in Queensland – you can help reduce your risk of cancer by getting active today,” Ms Clift said.
“At least one third of all cancers are preventable through healthy lifestyle choices including getting active, eating well, limiting alcohol, quitting smoking and staying SunSmart.
“In Australia, overweight or obesity is the cause of nearly 4000 cancer cases annually, and 1800 cancer cases are attributed to inactivity.
“Cancer Council recommend Queenslanders aim for at least 60 minutes of moderate exercise, or 30 minutes of vigorous physical activity every day to improve their health.”
Join The March Charge today and register online at themarchcharge.com.au.
Individuals and teams can set up a walking or running target, and will receive information and support on how to fundraise and reach their goals.
More information about Cancer Council Queensland is available at cancerqld.org.au or 13 11 20
For interviews, please contact:
Notes to editor:
• The March Charge 2017 is a national fitness challenge that asks people to set a walking or running target to complete in the month of March and fundraise for Cancer Council.
• Participants in The March Charge are called ‘Chargers’ and Chargers can participate as individuals, with a partner or in a team.
• The campaign sits digitally and participants’ friends and family are encouraged to support to bring in donations.
• The March Charge provides an opportunity for everyone, no matter what their fitness level, to get healthy and contribute to a cancer free future.
• Funds raised from The March Charge help fund world-class cancer research, prevention and advocacy programs, and support services to help those affected by cancer.
• In 2017, Cancer Council’s The March Charge aims to raise $1.1million nationally.