Cancer Council Queensland recommends all school sun protection policies are enforced in Queensland all year round.
If you qualify as a SunSmart School, you will receive a 60cm x 90cm SunSmart sign.
Becoming a SunSmart Centre tells the community that your Centre is committed to the future health of its students.
Privacy Collection Statement
SunSmart School Agreement
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
If your school is accepted as a SunSmart School, you will be promoting the SunSmart and Cancer Council Queensland’s sun protection messages in your daily activities, providing a role model to other Schools throughout Queensland.
Schools participating in the National SunSmart Schools Program must agree to the following terms and conditions.
- To enforce their sun protection policy as documented.
- To take reasonable steps to ensure that all staff, students and parents are aware of the sun protection policy and its requirements.
- To inform Cancer Council Queensland of any changes to the School’s policy and practises and anything else that may relate to or affect its inclusion in the National SunSmart Schools Program.
The School agrees to comply with the following minimum standards:
- The sun protection policy is implemented all year round.
- All students wear a broad brimmed, legionnaire or bucket hat when outside.
- The use of SPF 30+ or higher broad spectrum, water resistant sunscreen is encouraged.
- Sun protective clothing is part of the dress code.
- Staff are requested to act as role models by practising SunSmart behaviours.
- Sun protection activity is included in the School curriculum.
- The sun protection policy is reflected in the planning of all outdoor events (eg excursions, picnics).
- Outdoor experiences are rescheduled, whenever possible, to minimise time outdoors between 10am and 3pm.
- The School has sufficient shade or is working towards increasing shade in the outdoor play space.
- The School reviews its sun protection policy regularly, at least once every three years. This involves staff, management and parents and includes monitoring the School’s compliance with its policy and making suggestions for improvement.
- SunSmart schools will be reassessed every three years to reconfirm sun protection practices.