Charles Wanstall Apex Lodge – Refurbishment Project
In 2016, Cancer Council Queensland (CCQ) will embark on a major upgrade of our Herston accommodation facility, Charles Wanstall Apex Lodge. We welcome your support in making this happen.
Would you like to help? If you can donate to the Charles Wanstall Apex Lodge refurbishment please click the button below to show your support for this most needed project.
What is Charles Wanstall Apex Lodge?
Charles Wanstall Apex Lodge (CWAL) is one of CCQ’s Brisbane accommodation lodges offering a home away from home for regional cancer patients and their care givers, who need to travel to Brisbane for life saving cancer treatment. CWAL first opened its doors in 1983 and has 35 self-contained units ranging from studio apartments to three bedroom family units, accommodating an average of 70 patients and carers per night, with occupancy rates at around 95 per cent each year.
The rooms at CWAL are now over 30 years old and in much need of an upgrade. Some patient’s cancer treatment can last for six to eight weeks, which is a very long time to be away from family and friends, particularly for those having to travel a long distance. We aim to make their stay as comfortable as possible and this upgrade will ensure that the facilities are of the highest standard for years to come.
Our goal for the project is to refurbish all 35 rooms. We’re starting the first stage, a block of six rooms, in April 2016.
Who’s supporting us?
We are proud to be partnering with yourtown (formerly BoysTown) on stage one of this project. Yourtown will be providing the labour and project management component of the refurbishment, through their traineeship program.
The following companies are generously supporting us:
- Highgrove Bathrooms are providing the materials for the bathroom upgrades for the first six rooms.
- Dulux are providing the Low VOC paint required for the entire project.
- AusPods are providing storage facilities during the upgrade.
- Beaumont Tiles are providing our tiling requirements.
- Rydges South Bank have generously donated furniture to be used in our lodges.
What do we need?
We are seeking support from the community with this project including:
- Donations – every cent really does make a difference.
- Building materials including:
- Kitchen equipment
- Electrical and plumbing expertise
Thank you to the following organisations for their generous support: